Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chachi


The Spanish Lady, I had heard so much about her…well I guess she was just mentioned a lot not that I actually knew much about her. Here is what I did know: She was Spanish….they called her Chachi (seemed to be a fitting name for this crazy woman), she has lived in India for 15 years and can’t speak Hindi- hmmmm, she rents a room from my host family the Rajawats.
Which one of these is the Spanish Lady?

The moment I saw “The Spanish Lady,” I knew why everyone was always talking about her. I think the pink streak in her hair said it all…you don’t see many 50 year-old women with that now do ya? Her clothes were a mix of Indian and European chic with a touch of pink (hair and clothes).  She gave off a spunky aura that you can only find in movie characters, Foxxy Cleopatra combined with Fran from “The Nanny.” That woman talked English at the speed of light in a heavy Spanish accent. Are you familiar with Gloria from Modern Family? Ok take her voice and make it 50 years old. Yep that’s what you got. She was not afraid to speak her mind, always arguing with the rickshaw drivers. She is a Spanish travel guide so she is always all over the place, she’d sure be an interesting tour guide. She loves to dance, and she has made it clear she loves to drink. One of my roommates became sick, and Chachi told her to drink some rum-and she was being very serious. My friend Asha and I went out one night, and then next day Chachi asked us what club we went to and started naming off the clubs she has been to in Jaipur.

She came with Krishnaji, Amanda, Asha, Claire and I sari shopping. I had really wanted my own sari to wear to an upcoming wedding. Chachi stepped right in (even though Krishnaji is probably an expert at sari’s) picking out colors of the fabric and design patterns. She even directed the men how to cut the sleeves for my top. “No, no, no you do it short, this girl is young and fresh. You don’t give her long sleeves like an old person, you put the sleeves right there (pointing to my shoulder).” And would you know it I LOVED the final product. Thank you Chachi.

Ji Signhji with Chachi
And I’m pretty sure Ji Signhji is in love with her, the crazy bad-girl Spanish lady type is really appealing to him I think. He is always over chatting away or eating (Krishnaji makes her special food without the Indian spices- home girl ain’t havin none of that) with her aka bothering her. But she is just oblivious to his puppy love. Chatting away, giving him a hard time while on her sewing machine she bought for $40.

A few days before I left Jaipur, our family was having some sort of dance party with Spanish music provided by Chachi. Ji Signhji, wanting to be the center of attention gets right in on the dancing and stands on the large freezer in the backyard. As he is dancing his goofy dance, ear to ear smiling with his scrawny legs, blue flip-flops and Elmer Fudd head in his crappy plaid button-up, Chachi yells, “Now take off your shirt! If you dance like that you take off your shirt!”

Me: Please dear lord, no. I have already seen him take a bath in the garden with his swim trunks, cleaning his junk. I don’t need a strip tease.

He begins to take off his shirt. “AHHHHH!!!!” The adjacent family comes out to see what all the commotion is about. Ji Signhji struggles to get his sleeve to come off his arm….anndddd RIP! His sleeve tears right off. I am watching a 50 year-old Indian man strip to Spanish music, while he is on a freezer. What is this world coming too?
Krishnaji and Ji Singhhi (with Amanda and I of course)

Amanda (my roommate) and I have a theory that they have an affair, but then I think Chachi wouldn’t want to be tied down (seriously). That relationship is a mystery to me. It seems like such a storybook tale; a traditional Indian family, with the crazy Spanish lady living next door. Someone needs to write a book about it…

4 comments:

  1. keep the updates coming!! No picture of pink-hair Spanish lady???
    xxoxoxoxo MammaS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom its right there... the first two pictures...

    I loved it! Que bueno. Keep it up

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the pics :)
    xxxoxoxoxo Mommy

    ReplyDelete